Symposium Presentation Submission Guidelines
The 7th Annual Life Sciences South Florida STEM Undergraduate Research Symposium will showcase the scientific work of South Florida’s undergraduate Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) students through poster and oral presentations. Participants gain valuable experience, presentation skills, and recognition by their peers, local colleges and universities, as well as life science industries. Judging takes place during each presentation, and prizes awarded for outstanding projects.
- Poster boards are limited to four feet (1.22 m) wide by three feet (0.91 m) high with information organized in columns. Arrive to the Symposium by 8:15am to allow sufficient time to set up your poster before the official start time of 8:30am. Please plan to be at your poster for the entirety of the judging time, which is from 10am – 11:30am.
- Oral presentations are limited to eight minutes, with an additional 2 minutes for questions. Oral presentations should be in PowerPoint format. Bring your PowerPoint on a USB drive and save it to your email as backup. Arrive to the Symposium by 8:15am to allow sufficient time to set up your PowerPoint on the computers before the official start time of 8:30am.
Abstracts will be judged at the institutional level according to the following 5 criteria:
- Significance and importance of the topic
- Appropriateness of the research question
- Choice of research methods and procedures
- Interpretation of results
- Clarity of the abstract